June 6, 2014

Homemade Granola Recipe


I'm crazy about granola. It's my all time favorite yogurt topper and I could totally snack on it plain too. Recently, I started making my own granola at home. Why? Because I like to be able to control what's going in there and make it my own. Plus, my daughter is really getting into granola too and I personally like giving her a homemade one.

Granola is so simple to make. Really! And you can get creative with your flavorings and toppings. I'm going to share the recipe I use and add little notes for what you can use for additions or substitutions.


Homemade Granola Recipe:

3 cups rolled oats (can also add in quinoa for added crunch)
1 cup raw almond slivers (feel free to use other nuts like walnuts, pecans, etc)
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds (hulled pumpkin seeds work too)
3/4 cup maple flavored agave syrup (you can also use regular maple syrup or plain agave)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (can also use canola or even olive oil for added bite)
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg (feel free to experiment with other spices too!)
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried apricots, sliced (any type of dried fruit will do; guava, papaya, etc.)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In a large bowl combine oats, nuts and seeds. Add in syrup, oil, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to coat all of the granola. Get it all covered. Spread onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes until golden. Be sure to give a stir once or twice while baking. 
Wait until granola is completely cooled and then add the dried fruit.

It's just heavenly sprinkled over yogurt. Right now my daughter is just into the dried apricots and cranberries so those are my go to dried fruits for granola. That's the beauty of making granola at home, you can create whatever you want!
Keep Up With Karen's Soiree

3 comments:

  1. I didn’t realize granola was so easy to make, and it’s my go to yogurt topper. It makes me feel like I’m actually eating a real breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granola is one of my favorites and I hate the boxed, processed kind so much. I didn't know it was easy to make!! You make it look delicious and I love the idea of buying my own ingredients to use. My own perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Pinned!
    My kiddos love granola :)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you!