- Don't start a blog with the sole intention of making money and getting free stuff. I know, blogging seems like it's such an easy way to get some free loot. You see so many people doing it. Be warned, if you're only in it for these reasons, people will see right through you. Blog because you're passionate about something. I don't begrudge anyone for making money from blogging but be sure you're authentic to what you are writing about or you may lose readers.
- Try not to get caught up in blogger envy. It's just not worth your time and energy. You don't know the real story as to why some bloggers may have a ton of comments and social sharing on their posts. Don't worry if your Facebook page doesn't have as many likes or not everyone is following your Instagram. A lot of bloggers run flash giveaways where people have to like pages or follow social media to enter. You can do this too! Listen, there are something like 152 million blogs out there (according to a Google search) so don't get into a rut comparing yourself to others.
- Find your own blogging voice. Who cares if your first few posts are terrible? Just be yourself and you'll find your groove. You don't have to format your posts or change your writing style to the way another blogger does it. People will want to read what you have to say, just hang in there and keep working at it.
- Decide from the start if you want to self host your site. This is something that I did not do. I just started right away on Blogger with a blogspot address. It's not the worst thing and I do actually like using Blogger. A lot of bloggers are running their sites on WordPress which is also really great. I ended up buying my domain name for the future but I hate the hosting site I bought it from. Recently, I found Web Hosting Hub and it's so much less expensive. I've also done my research and it's such a better hosting company to work with.
- Utilize free picture editing sites. You really don't need a fancy picture editing program like Photoshop or Lightroom to have a successful blog. Check out Pic Monkey for great photo editing that's for free. Use it also to watermark your photos, which is so important! Readers like visuals, don't just slap bad pictures onto your posts and call it a day. Take the time to edit!
- Sometimes you need a break. It actually takes a lot of work to keep a blog going. It can get overwhelming and consuming. Sometimes you just need to put the computer away and re-charge your own creative battery. Your blog will still be there when you're ready. Living life is always the best inspiration!
This, of course, is just my two cents about blogging. Everyone has a different experience. If you're thinking of starting a blog, just go for it. You have nothing to lose from trying!
Disclaimer: This post contains one affiliate link that I am only compensated from if you sign up with Web Hosting Hub. I stand by any product that I post an affiliate link to and all opinions are my own.